Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Poll Answers - Poll on the 23rd Jan 09

Last week's poll question was:

How many structural formula are there with the molecular formula of C8H10O. Ethers are excluded.

A) 10, B) 11, C)12, D)13, E) 14, F) 15.
---------

Thank you for your responses to the poll question on the 23rd of Jan 2009. I hope that you have found it an informative exercise for the 22 of you. In this week's question, my suggested answer contains 14 isomers which shares the same molecular formula.
In addition, I have also posted a video which provides a suggested step-by-step approach to obtain the 14 isomers.



Unfortunately, out of the 22 responses, only one shares the same answer with me. Nonetheless, i am very intrigued to hear if there are structures which I have missed out or omitted. Do use the comments page to share your response with me!

P.S. If it helpful if you can describe the structure of the isomer (e.g. Isomer 3 can be described as a -OH substituent on carbon 2 of benzene and a -CH2CH3 substituent on carbon 1).

No comments: