Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Electrochemistry - Reduction Potential in Feasibility of Redox Reactions

In an earlier entry on the topic of Electrochemistry -Reduction Potential, I spoke about my interpretation of reduction potential, whose main tenet is for us to decide which substance is more susceptible to reduction and which is less. Therefore, having the positive and negative sign is IMPORTANT.

In this entry I would be writing about the application (or uses) of the Standard Reduction Potential. There are three main uses, (a) to determine the Ecell of an electrochemical cell. (b) to determine whether a redox reaction will occur and (c) deciding which substance will be electrolysed. These will be discussed in a series of three posts. The second one is:

(b) To determine feasibility of a redox reaction

Firstly, you need to identify which is the species that will be oxidised and which will be reduced. For example, in the question of asking whether I- will cause the reduction of Br2. In this situation I- will be oxidised to I2, while Br2 will be reduced to Br-.

Therefore, by using logical deduction, for the redox reaction between Br2 and I- to feasible, it must be that Br2 tends to reduce more favourably than I2. (If the converse is true, wouldn't the formation of I2 and Br- then cause I2 to oxidise Br-?)

Thus, if we substract the reduction potential of I2 from the reduction potential of Br2, we will get a positive number. This positive number is the Ecell of this redox reaction and it informs us that the redox reaction is spontaneous.

Therefore, we will have the equation Ecell = Ered - Eoxd . (Since reduction potential of Br2 is greater than I2 (+1.07V against +0.54V), thus Br2 will oxidise I-)

This equation can also be used to predict whether a reaction is non-spontaneous. For example, to predict whether a reaction between F- and I2 will occur, we are suggesting that F2 and I- are formed.

However, the reduction potential of I2 is smaller than the reduction of F2. Therefore the redox reaction between F- and I2 wouldn't occur. To prove it, we calculate Ecell of the reaction (Ecell = +0.54V - (+2.87)) which is smaller than zero.

-- -- -- -- --
Article written by Kwok YL 2007.
Disclaimer and remarks:
  • If you would like to use this source, kindly drop me a note by leaving behind a comment with your name and institution. I am all for sharing as the materials on this blog is actually meant for the education purpose of my students.
  • This material is entirely written by the author and my sincere thanks will be given to anyone who is kind, generous and gracious to point out any errors.
  • Due to limitation of the blog and my limited code knowledge, I am unable to do superscripts and subscripts, hopefully in time to come, I would be able to do so.

No comments: